We just did a library staff skills inventory to find out what we might be able to offer as practice tools to make our lives richer and more productive. We asked:
- "What APPs do you use on your smartphone or tablet?
- Do you use a piece of software that you love and couldn't live without?
- What social media are you comfortable with?
- What hobbies do you have that you'd like to share?
- Have you gone through a recent life change (moving, child with special needs, job search, senior living for parents) that you have research and could share with others?
The point is, you don't have to be an expert to have something of value to share with patrons. If you set up your program in an open, accepting way, patrons themselves feel comfortable sharing their experiences and knowledge on a topic as well!
From this inventory, we are planning to build a series of programs over a course of time, that will brand our library as a "Go To" place that is comfortable, helpful, supportive for our patrons.